Bob's 2006 ING NYC Marathon Blog

My name is Bob Scofield and I live in Manhattan. I am running the NYC Marathon with the New York Road Runners Foundation Team for Kids. We raise funds for running programs for at risk kids here in New York City and other places around the country. To donate for this great cause follow the below link on the right (Internet Explorer users may need to scroll down to the bottom - thanks Bill Gates!). Don't forget to input my entrant number, 20832 and name Robert Scofield. The kids and I thank you!!

Friday, August 11, 2006

"I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come for quite some time."


It rained in New York today, and hard. There was thunder & lightning and some very cold, big rain drops. It was reminiscent of the scene in "Caddyshack" where Bill Murray is playing golf with the Bishop, who is having the round of his life in a driving rainstorm. You should remember it and if you haven't seen the film, you should go to netflix.com and have them send it over right away.

It started raining at the precise moment when we began our pre-run stretching exercises. It was actually kind of pleasant running in the rain, in contrast to the 100 degree heat we had to contend with last Tuesday night, August 1st. We were supposed to do hill repeats but wound up just doing a loop of the park. Overall everybody had fun, it was one of those situations that was so absurd that everybody was laughing and having a great time. To my knowledge nobody was struck by lightning, "which is nice" (sort of a dual "Caddyshack" homage there you may have missed).

Ok, I'm starting to worry now that some people have not seen "Caddyshack". If you are going to get full enjoyment out of this blog I will alert you to some of my favorite movies that I will probably be alluding to liberally up until marathon Sunday that you may want to watch so you can keep up with all the references. Here is a partial list:

Caddyshack
Back to School
Old School
Wedding Crashers
Rainman
Rudy
Breaking Away
Animal House
Casablanca
The Godfather I & II
Goodfellas
My Cousin Vinny
The Graduate
The Princess Bride
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Braveheart
Total Recall
The first two Terminator movies
Predator
Silence of the Lambs
The Good The Bad & The Ugly
Forest Gump
A League of their Own (which will always be some variant of the line, "There's no crying in baseball.")
Back to the Future
The Karate Kid
The Breakfast Club
Cool Hand Luke

Ok, I have to go to bed, and you have a lot of work to do. Have a good night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home