Bob's 2006 ING NYC Marathon Blog

My name is Bob Scofield and I live in Manhattan. I am running the NYC Marathon with the New York Road Runners Foundation Team for Kids. We raise funds for running programs for at risk kids here in New York City and other places around the country. To donate for this great cause follow the below link on the right (Internet Explorer users may need to scroll down to the bottom - thanks Bill Gates!). Don't forget to input my entrant number, 20832 and name Robert Scofield. The kids and I thank you!!

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Missed the 12 Mile Run


The team ran 12 miles today, starting in the park near the Metropolitan Museum of Art, running over to the running trail along the Hudson River on the West Side, down to Chelsea Piers and back again.

Unfortunately I had surgery on my jaw which still is painful and swollen today so I had to skip it. The surgery seems to have gone quite well and I am optimistic for a speedy recovery.

Hopefully somebody will post about today's run and I can link to it or copy & paste it, as I am curious as to how it went.

Last year it was one of the two most difficult runs all season, as it fell unluckily enough on the hottest day of last year. The temperature was over 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 Celsius). Running along the West Side there are very few trees or buildings to provide you cover from the sun, so you just cooked the entire time. The pace selected by our coaches was not a slow and steady pace, they had us doing accelerations throughout the run, which they mercifully said we could abandon for the second half. When we got to Chelsea Piers there was no water left to drink for me and my speedy brethren who all started later. I had been trying to keep up with Greg Roelants, Sonia Song & Amy Dold, as was Autumn Backman. We lost Autumn pretty quickly and left her for dead essentially at her insistence. Amazingly she wound up finishing the run a little after us. During the second half I had to stop and walk several times, it was incredibly brutal. When I made it back up to the city streets, Helen Hostin caught up with me and gave me some Gatorade, which was a lifesaver. That gave me the energy to make it to the water fountains in the park which kept me going until the end.

Ok I am off to get ice for my jaw, I have kind of a Michael Corleone thing going on from "One" ["The Sopranos" characters always refer to the various "Godfather" installments simply by their number]. Add that TV show, Entourage, and Seinfeld to the list of required viewing for maximum enjoyment of these musings. Ok, I am freezer bound, have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home