Bob's 2006 ING NYC Marathon Blog

My name is Bob Scofield and I live in Manhattan. I am running the NYC Marathon with the New York Road Runners Foundation Team for Kids. We raise funds for running programs for at risk kids here in New York City and other places around the country. To donate for this great cause follow the below link on the right (Internet Explorer users may need to scroll down to the bottom - thanks Bill Gates!). Don't forget to input my entrant number, 20832 and name Robert Scofield. The kids and I thank you!!

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Trouble at the Overlook


Ok there was no trouble, but there was a Team for Kids fundraiser on Wednesday night at a very cool place, which had the unfortunate name of Overlook. For those of you who don't have photographic memories and spend way too much time watching movies, that is the name of the hotel in Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining". This film still scares the hell out me to this day, but it was for the kids, so I entered the bar. Luckily there was no ill tempered guy in a maroon sweater with a bad case of writer's block offering to sell his soul for one lousy drink. No little girls in blue dresses standing spookily in front of one of the doors. No little boy riding around on a big wheel, taking time out to engage his index finger in conversation. There were no elevator doors issuing forth fountains of blood and no axe wielding madmen handing out attitude adjustments.

Not feeling too well, still a bit out of sorts from the surgery and Tuesday's run, which I'm thinking now may have been too soon. I'm starting to get some pain, but I'm going to stick with OTC medication for that and forgo the top shelf stuff prescribed by my doctor. There's a run tonight, I'm going to skip it I'm pretty sure, and try to get back to 100% for the big Rockefeller Park Run on Sunday.

Last year Rockefeller was the toughest run for me, as I was having pain in my hip flexor muscles from an injury sustained the Thursday night before. It was 96 degrees and there were insane hills at this place. Actually the whole experience was kind of like a horror movie in its own right. Nobody was killed but many of us were put through the ringer and would not soon forget that day. As our coach says, "Train hard, race easy." Gotta go, more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home